There are five objectives to deliver the prescribing & medicines workstream vision, each with accompanying standards
1. To review procurement opportunities within Primary and Secondary care to increase efficiency
2. To realise cost savings from improving performance against the Better Care: Better Value and other local prescribing indicators
3. To improve the commissioning of medicines services to ensure medicines are used in line with the standards set by NICE & local commissioning policy.
4. To deliver a patient engagement programme to encourage self-care, improve concordance and reduce the amount of medicines wasted across hospitals and community settings
5. To develop joint medicines commissioning policies to improve consistent high quality use of medicines. e.g. Regional area prescribing committee policy on traffic light medicines.